15 information about airports you probably didn't know
We are passionate about airplanes and flights, but we do not neglect airports. Every flight starts at the airport!
We love to fly, we are fascinated by airplanes, we learn to recognize them and choose our favorites, but we must not forget that airports also play an important role in our travels. For us to feel safe and to go to the destinations we choose as relaxed and pleasing, a lot of effort is put behind the curtains!
15 Airports Information
Oana Cristiana Groza compiled 15 lesser-known things about airports around the world. Thus, it can help you to spend your time in a more enjoyable way until taking off.
- Which is the busiest airport? Well it depends on what you mean. The busiest airport in the world, by number of passengers served, is Hartsfield – Jackson, Atlanta. Chicago's O'Hare Airport holds the first title by number of take-offs and landings. If we refer to the number of foreign passengers, the busiest airport is Dubai. The largest freight traffic is registered at Hong Kong International Airport.
- The highest air control tower It is located at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Thailand, and measures approximately 132 meters.
- King Fahd International Airport in Dammam, Saudi Arabia occupies an area of 192000 acres (78 000 hectares), being larger than the whole country of Bahrain!
- The smallest airport in the world is the Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport on the island of Saba. Here it is the smallest runway for commercial flights in the world, with a length of only 396 meters.
- King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia specializes in accommodating travelers visiting Mecca. During the pilgrimage, the Hajj terminal can accommodate approximately 80 000 people at the same time.
- Did you notice that some airport codes end in X (LAX, PHX)? Before switching to the standard 3 letter codes, there were airports that had only 2 letters. Thus, the letter X was added at the end for compliance.
- If you are traveling through Hong Kong International Airport and have a longer stop, you can play golf on the specially landscaped grounds near 2 Terminal. Hong Kong International Airport prides itself on a nine-hole field approved by the USGA (United States Golf Association).
- Aren't you passionate about golf? Nothing! At the San Francisco International Airport and Chicago Midway International Airport you can relax in the YOGA rooms. The carpets are included!
- Do you go through Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport? Enjoy the exhibitions of Dutch artists in the annex of the Rijksmuseum Museum!
- One of the strangest facilities is the São Paulo – Guarulhos International Airport. You can visit the dentist at Terminal 2. It offers cleaning, bleaching and more.
- Nashville International Airport has just obtained a proprietary license for alcoholic beverages. Travelers can take their cocktails with them wherever they go. You no longer have to rush to drink beer at the bar before boarding the plane, so you can enjoy it at the boarding gate.
- At Colorado Springs Airport you can drop off your drugs in a specially designed place without being asked where they came from.
- Traveling to a warmer destination via New York? The 5 terminal of JFK Airport has a changing room where you can leave your thick clothes and you can take them back.
- There is a garden with over 1000 butterflies in Changi Airport in Singapore. Beautiful show for those who love flying.
- To drive the birds around the runways, at Heathrow International Airport, London, cars are equipped with systems that produce certain noises intended to drive them away.
If you liked our short compilation of airport information, we invite you to share it with your friends. And even leave comments with what other beautiful experiences you have had through the world's airports.