American Airlines ordered 47 from Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft
American Airlines, the largest fleet company in the world, placed a major order for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
Boeing and American Airlines announced the 47 order of the 787 Dreamliner plus 28 options. The 47 787 aircraft are valued at approximately 12 billion dollars (list price). By placing this order, American Airlines will own the largest fleet of Dreamliner aircraft in the world.
47 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft
Initially, American ordered 42 787 aircraft. They are used on routes to Asia-Pacific and Europe, the company benefiting from the aircraft's operational facilities. At the same time, the American company offers passengers increased comfort on its flights.
Although there are still planes to be received from the first order, American Airlines ordered 22 × 787-8 and 25 × 787-9 for the modernization and expansion of the fleet.
Dreamliner aircraft are mostly made of lightweight composite materials, and propulsion is provided by the most efficient engines. Thus, 787 aircraft come in packs with reduced operational costs with 20% compared to previous aircraft and almost 10% compared to today's rival aircraft.
The 787-8 Dreamliner can carry 242 passengers (in a classic configuration with 2 classes) over a maximum distance of 13.620 km. The 787-9 Dreamliner, the older brother of the 787-8, can carry up to 290 passengers over a maximum distance of 14140 kilometers.
The relationship between Boeing and American Airlines is over 80 years old
The relationship between Boeing and American Airlines has exceeded 80 for years. Some important landmarks in the common history:
- June 1936: American Airlines becomes the first carrier with a Douglas DC-3 in commercial service;
- January 1959: American Airlines uses the Boeing 707 to fly from the East Coast to the West Coast of the United States;
- March 1961: American Airlines is the first operator of Boeing 720B;
- July 1971: American Airlines receives the first DC-10;
- May 2015: American Airlines operates the first flight with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.