COVID-19 Daily - July 6, 2021: UK announces removal of restrictions; Germany relaxes anti-covid measures for some countries; Lambda - a new version of COVID-19!
Starting today, we try to make a daily summary of the day on COVID-19 and the pandemic that has plagued the planet. Through this format, Vorm brings to your attention all the news about the evolution of the pandemic, restrictions and anti-covid measures, but also news about some events related to the new coronavirus. But no more introduction! Let's see what's new today!
Freedom Day - UK
- Expect that all COVID-19 restrictions should be lifted in England, from July 19. The event is known as "Freedom Day". Even the laws on wearing a mask and social distance could be removed. Other changes also include the planned reopening of nightclubs, the cessation of legal limits on the number of people who can attend events, and the end of guidelines for working from home.
- Following international political pressure, Germany will stop from Wednesday to apply bans on visitors from the UK, Portugal, Russia, India and Nepal. Visitors who are fully vaccinated will not be required to stay in quarantine upon arrival. People who are not vaccinated will be able to end their quarantine period (10 days) earlier if they give negative results after five days.
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine seems less effective
- The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine appears to be less effective in preventing the spread of the Delta variant, but remains extremely effective in preventing hospitalization, according to the Israeli Ministry of Health. Between June 6 and July 2, inoculation demonstrated 64% efficacy in preventing cases and 94% efficacy in preventing hospitalizations.
- Spain is facing a new wave of COVID-19. The number of cases began to rise. More than 32 new infections were announced on Monday. The young people were the most affected, according to the authorities, with 640 cases per 100.000 among the 20-29 age group. About 40% of the country's population has received two doses of vaccine.
- Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel remains in "serious but stable" condition after being found with COVID-19 and hospitalized on Sunday, the government said.
Lambda, a new variant of COVID-19
- Lambdathe a new option has been added to the list by the World Health Organization (WHO). It has been identified in at least 27 different countries. The new strain of COVID-19 is widespread especially in South America, but has found its way to Europe.
- Hungary has announced that the number of people hospitalized due to COVID-19 has increased from three to 43 in just 24 hours. It is not yet very clear whether this increase is due to the Delta variant.
- In Czech, the number of new infections has started to rise again due to the Delta variant, but the number of hospitalizations and deaths is still declining.
- Greece opens borders to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Moldova and Brunei. You can travel without restrictions! This was possible after the European Commission updated the safe list of third countries.
That being said, stay healthy and travel wisely and carefully!