Eligible situations for compensation of up to 600 euros in case of delayed or canceled flights
In 2022, we faced numerous delayed or canceled flights, an effect of the pandemic years when aviation was severely affected by flight cancellations and tens of thousands of employees were laid off. We currently still have an operational schedule disrupted by this workforce shortage, with flights canceled or delayed and thousands of passengers affected every day.
If you have encountered such situations, you must have wondered how you can get financial compensation, how to be compensated for the inconvenience created by a canceled or delayed flight, especially since it may have been a holiday, a city break or a business trip.
Air passenger rights
Yes, for such situations there is the possibility of receiving financial compensation from the airlines, in addition to the others air passenger rights. There is rEC regulation 261/2004 of the European Union, which protects passengers who have been affected by delayed flights, canceled flights or denied boarding due to overbooking.
If you fly on EU territory or from the EU to other non-EU destinations (regardless of whether the flight is operated by a company inside or outside the EU) and you are facing canceled or delayed flights beyond 3 hours, you are also entitled to financial compensation of up to €600. These compensations are set according to the distance:
Financial compensation of up to 600 euros
– 250 euros for flights on distances below 1500 km – regional and domestic flights (with a delay of more than 3)
- 400 euros for flights between 1500-3500 km (with a delay of more than 3)
- 600 euros for flights over distances over 3500 km (with a minimum delay of 4 hours)
– 300 euros for flights over 3500 km (with a delay between 3 and 4 hours).
Situations eligible for compensation
But, in today's article we want to bring to your attention some scenarios eligible for these compensations and situations when, although flights are canceled or delayed, you are not entitled to this money. Many times, airlines have sought to delay claims for compensation by invoking various force majeure actions even though this was not the case.
In this context, we want to clarify a few things so that it is clear to everyone. First of all, if you are faced with a canceled or delayed flight, our recommendation is to request compensation from the airline or through companies specialized in such claims. You have nothing to lose, only to gain if your situation qualifies.
If flights are canceled or delayed more than three hours due to the airline, such as:
- Strike of airline employees;
- Lack of staff;
- Unforeseen or not covered technical problems due to the airline;
- Missing aircraft;
- Failure to fit into airport slots.
In the situations mentioned above, plus in the case of other situations related to the airlines, you as passengers are entitled to compensation according to the chart above. For example, you can get compensation if you have la Wizz Air canceled flights due to the lack of cabin crew. Or you can get compensation if you have TAROM plane ticket cancellation if the situation is strictly up to the airline and not exceptional situations.
To keep things simple, below is the Civil Aviation Authority's list of compensation exemptions:
- Bird strike – when the plane hits a bird and thus the flights suffered – cancellations / delays;
- Aircraft manufacturing defects – there have been cases where aircraft manufacturers have requested ground clearance of models for verification and this has disrupted the operational schedule;
- In the case of strikes organized by different departments within airports or air traffic controllers. Strikes organized by airline employees are NOT exempt;
- War or other acts of force majeure endangering the integrity of the aircraft, crew and passengers;
- In the case of acts of terrorism, bomb threats, etc.
- Acts of sabotage;
- Security issues;
- Severe adverse weather conditions, which may lead to the blocking of flights, the closing of airports, etc.;
- Natural disasters such as floods, volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes.
In addition to these financial compensations, as an air passenger you have the right to rerouting (moving to another route) or rescheduling your flight, to a full refund if you refuse to travel, to food and water, to accommodation if the next flight is on another day , assistance, transfer between airport and hotel.