Europe is quarantined during the winter holidays. See measures taken in the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy
Wave 2 of COVID-19 is heavier and puts more and more pressure on the medical systems of European countries and other continents. As of October, tens of thousands of new cases are reported daily in Europe.
Countries such as the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Spain or Italy have taken drastic new measures in the hope that they will limit the spread of the new coronavirus.
Compared to the period March - May 2020, the new measures seem to be lighter, but there are still travel restrictions and discouraging travel for tourist and non-essential purposes is discouraged.
Europe is in quarantine during the winter holidays.
Unfortunately, some countries have started suspending flights to / from several European countries and around the world, mainly due to the detection of a new strain of COVID-19, which is much more contagious. But let's see how European countries have decided to protect themselves from COVID-19, around the winter holidays.
Anglia - StayHome revine
UPDATE 22.12.2020: It is mandatory, by law, to use the mask in public transport, shops, malls, enclosed public spaces.
Wearing a mask is recommended public transport staff and taxi drivers, but it is mandatory for customers of taxis and private rented vehicles.
It is mandatory to wear a mask in the hospitality spaces, except for customers who are seated at the table to serve the meal. Hospitality and retail staff are required to wear a mask. People who have so far been exempted from wearing a mask (for example in the event of a health problem) will continue to be exempted from these new obligations.
Crăciun: On 23-27 December, for Northern Ireland, and only on 25 December for certain regions of England, Wales and Scotland, the temporary formation of a "Christmas bubble”- a support group consisting of members of two households, who will be able to meet only in their personal homes and will be able to travel, for the purpose of meeting, between regions at different alert levels, except level 4. In England the system with 4 alert levels (the fourth being introduced on December 20).
Level 4 - applicable in London
Level 4 - Applicable in London (in full), South East Kent and Medway, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hastings and Rother, Havant, Gosport, Surrey (less Waverley), Portsmouth, East of England (Hertfordshire, Essex (less Colchester, Tendring) and Uttlesford), Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Luton, Milton Keynes, Peterborough).
It is forbidden to form a "Christmas bubble". It is forbidden to meet indoors with people who do not live together or form a support group. In open spaces you can meet a maximum of 2 people from different homes. It is forbidden to move to an area at another alert level.
In addition to the general measures applied in the United Kingdom, countries such as England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have also adopted some special territorial and zonal measures.
Britain is isolated from Continental Europe
The emergence of the new strain of SARV-CoV-2 virus has blocked all routes out of the United Kingdom to mainland Europe, both for water travel and Eurotunnel travel.
Several countries, including Romania, have also suspended flights to and from the UK. As of December 20, quarantine has been reinstated for several areas in England, including London. Restrictions limit non-essential travel, including abroad
UPDATE 22.12.2020 - Wales has adopted a 4-level alert system, but as of 20 December the whole territory is at Level 4, with the following rules:
- Only adults living alone and single-parent families can form a support group with people from another home.
- It is forbidden to meet people in private homes, in private gardens or outdoors who do not live together or do not form a support group.
- Schools and other educational institutions are open.
- Places of worship remain open.
- The sports facilities, the beauty salons, the performance halls are closed.
- Restaurants, cafes, bars and pubs are closed.
- Entertainment venues and indoor tourist attractions are closed.
- Additional details can be accessed at: https://gov.wales/coronavirus.
Irlanda de Nord
- UPDATE 22.12.2020 It is forbidden to meet in private homes of people who do not live together (different households), with some exceptions, including: support group, childcare, emergencies. The support group can consist of a maximum of 10 people from a maximum of 2 dwellings.
- A maximum of 6 people from a maximum of 2 households can meet in a private garden.
- It is forbidden to spend the night in another private home, except for the support group and emergencies.
- A maximum of 15 people can meet outdoors, respecting the physical distance of 2 meters, as well as specific hygiene measures.
Shops, restaurants, hotels, close contact services, libraries, tourist attractions, gyms are open.
- At funeral, wedding and civil partnership ceremonies, the number of participants depends on the size of the venue. In the case of funeral ceremonies held in private homes, the number of participants is limited to 10 people from a maximum of 4 homes.
- Details at: additional: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-regulations-guidance-what-restrictions-mean-you.
Franța - Carantină totală
- UPDATE 22.12.2020 Starting with December 15 this year, it is forbidden to drive at night, between 20:00 and 6:00. Compliance with this measure will be strictly controlled, and any breach of the provision will be punished with a fine of 135 euros.
Derogations will be allowed (with the presentation of the related supporting document) for the following situations: professional reasons, family emergency, mission of general interest, medical reasons, for people with disabilities (and companion), walking pets.
An exception to night traffic is valid for the evening of 24 December 2020, but NOT for the evening of 31 December 2020.
- The travel restriction on a maximum radius of 20 km is removed. You will no longer need the travel document (except for the time interval 20: 00-6: 00). Travel will be allowed throughout France, as well as abroad.
- Cafes, restaurants and bars remain closed until further notice.
- Cinemas, theaters, museums, concert halls, amusement parks, zoos, stadiums, gyms remain closed (at least until January 7, 2021).
- The places of worship are open and religious ceremonies can be officiated, in compliance with a strict protocol.
Belgia - Carantină generală
UPDATE 22.12.2020 - From Sunday, 1 November, until 15 January 2021, Belgium is in full quarantine. Authorities made the decision after a long meeting of more than 6 hours, which took place on Friday, October 30. Analyzing the figures of the last days, the Belgian officials decided to apply the general quarantine as a last answer to the 2nd wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Among the announced measures, we find:
🚫Limiting home visits. Each family will be able to receive a maximum of one person from outside the household, except for the only ones who can receive up to 2 people from outside the house.
🚫Outdoor, meetings may continue with maximum 4 people, while respecting social distance and wearing face masks.
🚫Non-essential stores will be closed, but pick-ups or home deliveries of pre-ordered products remain possible.
"They will all be closed." professions non-medical which requires close contact with the client. This includes barbershops, massage centers, SPAs, etc.
🚫No Christmas markets.
🚫The mask is mandatory everywhere.
🚫Sports competitions will take place without spectators.
They remain open and are allowed:
✅Generalized telework, wherever possible.
✅Hotels will be able to stay open, but without serving food in specially designed areas.
✅Grocery stores and supermarkets remain open, but they will only be able to sell the essential products. Shopping is done individually or with another person, in stores the time is limited to a maximum of 30 minutes.
✅Places of worship remain open, groups are limited to 4 people respecting social distance / wearing a mask, but no religious service is allowed.
✅The borders remain open, according to EU agreements, but travel is not recommended at all.
Germania - Lockdown parțial
- UPDATE 22.12.2020 Some public authorities have partially resumed activities with the public, ensuring distance measures, while others allow, on a case-by-case basis, only visits by applicants for services that are not delayed.
- The federal and state governments have adopted a number of additional measures, so that from 16 December 2020 until 10 January 2021 a strict general quarantine regime ("hard lockdown"):
- reducing to the absolute minimum the social contacts with people from outside the household;
- in public spaces it is allowed to meet a maximum of 10 people from at most 2 households;
- private meetings with friends, relatives and acquaintances must be limited to one's own household and at most one other household, but in any case to a maximum of 5 people; children up to the age of 14 are not included in the maximum number allowed;
- Christmas: depending on the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infections, the Länder may set exceptions for the period 24 December to 26 December 2020, so that up to 4 additional family members from close family in other households - even if the aforementioned limits of 2 households / 5 persons are exceeded;
- in the evening / night of December 31 / January 1 (New Year) public meetings are prohibited throughout Germany; the use of fireworks in public places as well as the sale of pyrotechnic products before New Year's Eve is prohibited;
- retail trade is no longer permitted, except for food and goods necessary for daily living; shops selling such products may remain open, provided that hygiene measures are observed, access is controlled and queues are avoided;
- personal care services such as hairdressing, cosmetics, massage, tattoo studios and the like will be closed. Medically necessary treatments, for example physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, podiatry, etc. are still allowed;
- schools and kindergartens must significantly restrict contacts: the obligation to attend them is suspended, only emergency care is provided, distance learning is provided and parents are given additional opportunities to take paid leave for childcare;
- employers must reduce professional contacts to a minimum, either by taking leave or moving to extended home office;
- restaurants, pubs and bars remain closed, with only home delivery or pick-up orders allowed; it is forbidden to eat food on the spot. It is also forbidden to consume alcoholic beverages in public places;
- religious services in churches, synagogues and mosques, as well as meetings of other religious communities are possible only under certain conditions which are established by the Federal Ministry of the Interior together with the religious communities concerned;
- citizens are required to give up travel and private visits that are not absolutely necessary. The application applies to both external and internal travel, even for day trips within Germany. Accommodation is also possible only in well-founded and obviously non-tourist situations;
- institutions and facilities for recreational and entertainment activities remain closed: theaters, operas, concert halls and similar institutions; trade fairs, cinemas, amusement parks and leisure providers (indoor and outdoor), casinos, betting shops and similar facilities; leisure sports in all public and private facilities, including fitness studios, swimming pools, saunas and thermal baths, etc.
- the federal government and the states will intensify controls to ensure compliance with the measures taken, including through unannounced controls, especially in border areas.
- It is mandatory to wear a protective mask in public transport and in shops, as well as compliance with hygiene rules and maintaining the social distance (1,5 m) in public space; the mask must be worn even in public areas where it is not possible to keep the minimum recommended distance. Failure to comply with this obligation is punishable by a fine of at least EUR 50.
Spania - Noua stare de urgență
UPDATE 22.12.2020 - At the end of October, Spain has declared a new state of emergency and a number of restrictive measures have been approved to stop the spread of the new coronavirus. In addition to the rules adopted at national level, each region of Spain has adopted its own restrictions.
During Christmas and New Year, up to 10 people can gather in the same house. Traffic bans will be postponed from 23:00 to 1:30 on December 24 and December 31. Travel between voting regions will be prohibited between December 23 and January 6, except for family visits.
Among the announced measures, we find:
🚫Limitation of traffic between 23.00-6.00 with the possibility of anticipating or extending this program by one hour, a decision that will be taken by each autonomous community;
🚫Protective mask is mandatory, except when food or beverages are consumed;
🚫Bars, cafes and restaurants are closed, except for those that can be delivered at home;
🚫The Autonomous Communities may decide to close the perimeter of the region / limit the entrances and exits of the region.
They remain open and are allowed:
✅Stores, but in compliance with the measures of physical distance;
✅Hotels, but with the occupancy of 50% of places;
✅Churches remain open;
✅Borders remain open.
Italia - lockdown parțial
- UPDATE 22.12.2020 - it is compulsory to wear the mask outdoors and to keep a distance of 1 meter throughout Italy. Also, wearing a mask is mandatory in all enclosed spaces, except private homes. The following categories are exempted from the obligation to wear a protective mask: people who carry out sports activities, children up to 6 years old, people with pathologies and disabilities incompatible with the use of the mask, as well as those who through interaction with the aforementioned persons are in the same situation of incompatibility.
- between 22.00-05.00, as well as from 22.00, 31 December 2020 to 7.00, 01 January 2021, only travel for proven work reasons, situations of necessity or health reasons are allowed;
- between December 21, 2020 - January 6, 2021, any movement between the territories of different regions or autonomous provinces is prohibited. On 25 and 26 December 2020 and 1 January 2021, any movement between municipalities is also prohibited, except for travel motivated by proven work needs, situations of necessity or health reasons. It is allowed to return to residence / domicile, except for trips to secondary housing located in another region or autonomous province and, on 25 and 26 December 2020 and 1 January 2021, located in another municipality, applying the prohibitions mentioned previous.
- between 18:00 and 05:00 the activities of public catering services are prohibited (including bars, restaurants, confectioneries, pastry shops). This allowed feeding activity with home delivery, catering in accordance with the hygiene and health regulations for both packaging and transport activities, as well as food services with packaged consumption until 24:00, with the prohibition of consumption on site or near the premises;
- access to places of worship is permitted, with the application of organizational measures to avoid crowds, taking into account the size and characteristics of the places and so as to guarantee visitors the opportunity to respect the distance of at least one meter;
- sporting events and individual and team sports competitions are suspended, held anywhere, both public and private, except for sporting events and competitions recognized as being of national interest;
- the activities of gyms, swimming pools, swimming centers, wellness centers, spas are suspended, except for those who provide compulsory medical care;
- the activities of gambling halls, betting, and casinos are suspended;
- performances open to the public in theaters, concert halls, cinemas and other venues, even outdoors, are suspended;
- public catering points located in service and fuel areas, located along highways, in hospitals and airports remain open, with the obligation to ensure in any case the observance of the physical distance of at least one meter;
- streets or squares in urban centers, where congestion may occur, may be closed to the public;
- recommends that all natural persons not travel by public or private means of transport, except for work, study, health or other activities or services which have not been suspended;
- it is mandatory to display the maximum number of people allowed in places open to the public, as well as in all commercial units;
- theme and amusement park activities are suspended;
- The services of Italian-flagged cruise ships with Italian ports of departure, port of call or final destination shall be suspended from 21 December 2020 until 6 January 2021. In addition, from 21 December 2020 until 6 January 2021 it shall be suspended. Representatives of management companies, shipowners and masters of foreign-flagged passenger ships offering cruise services, including for the purpose of inactive stays, are prohibited from entering Italian ports.
Measures applicable to regions and / or territories classified as "Scenario 3" and characterized by a high level of risk (orange areas) - Basilicata, Liguria, Puglia, Sicily, Umbria, Emilia Romagna, Friuli Venezia Giulia and Marche:
- It is forbidden to enter and leave these areas except for reasons motivated by work, strictly necessary situations or health reasons. The following are allowed: travel to ensure present-day teaching, return to one's home / home / residence, transit to territories on which no restrictive measures have been implemented;
- It is forbidden to travel by public or private means of transport in localities other than those of residence / domicile / dwelling, except for those carried out in the interests of work, study, health, for situations of necessity or for carrying out activities or to benefit from services not suspended and unavailable in the respective locality;
- The activity of restaurants (including bars, pubs, restaurants, ice cream shops, confectioneries) is suspended, except for canteens and contractual catering (for hospitals, schools, etc.), whose activity can continue in compliance with prevention rules and protocols. The activities of restaurants with home delivery remain allowed, as well as, until 22.00, take-away food services with the prohibition of consumption in or near the place.
Measures applicable to regions and / or territories classified as "Scenario 4" and characterized by a very high level of risk (red zones) - Abruzzo, Calabria, Lombardy, Piedmont, Valle d'Aosta, Tuscany, Campania, Autonomous Province of Bolzano :
- It is forbidden to enter and leave these areas as well as the movement inside them except in cases motivated by work, strictly necessary situations or health reasons. The following are allowed: travel to ensure present-day teaching, return to one's home / home / residence, transit to territories on which no restrictive measures have been implemented;
- Retail trade is suspended, except for the sale of food and basic necessities. The activity of the markets is suspended, regardless of the specifics, except for the activities of food sales;
- The activity of restaurants (including bars, pubs, restaurants, ice cream shops, confectioneries) is suspended, except for canteens and contractual catering (for hospitals, schools, etc.), whose activity can continue in compliance with prevention rules and protocols. The activities of restaurants with home delivery remain allowed, as well as, until 22.00, take-away food services with the prohibition of consumption in or near the place;
- The activity of gyms, swimming pools, swimming pools, spas and spas, carried out including in outdoor sports centers, as well as sporting events and competitions is suspended;
- It is allowed to carry out individual motor activities near one's home, respecting the interpersonal distance of at least 1 meter and wearing protective masks;
- Attendance at university and higher education courses is suspended. Training and practice courses for doctors and other medical activities may be conducted in person;
- Public sector employers limit the presence of staff in the workplace to ensure the exclusive activity that is considered indispensable and requires presence.
Regional authorities may take some additional more restrictive measures, depending on the evolution of epidemiological data. We recommend that you inform yourself carefully about the measures in force in the region where you are going to travel.
Austria - carantină parțială
UPDATE 22.12.2020 - Measures applicable until 10 January 2021, including:
When traveling in public, you must the following measures have been observed:
- In outdoor public spaces and indoors, a distance of at least one meter from people who do not live in the same household must be maintained.
- Wearing a protective mask is mandatory in busy places (eg streets / shopping centers, etc.). The obligation to wear a protective mask will be imposed at work, in all places where space conditions do not allow compliance with physical distance (offices).
- Prohibition of leaving home between 20:00 and 06:00 it extends until January 2021. Exceptions: to go to work (if "telework" is not possible), for urgent personal needs, in case of imminent danger, to provide assistance to others or for physical or mental recovery, to resolve administrative and legal issues that do not suffers postponement, participation in elections and the period winter holidays, as follows:
- The days of 24, 25 and 31 December 2020, in which the output restriction will be raised;
- A maximum of ten people can meet on the occasion of the legal Christmas holidays, from December 24/25, without imposing restrictions on the number of households to which these people belong;
- On December 31st / New Year's Eve, no night out bans apply, but private meetings will be allowed between a maximum of 6 adults and 6 children from a maximum of 2 households.
- Restricting contacts to a single person outside the household, both in private and public spaces. In addition to housing, the police can control other private spaces: outbuildings, garages, yards, etc.
- The catering industry, restaurants, hotels remain closed until January 7, 2021. Delivery services are possible, including overnight.
- All contact sports are still banned, indoor sports facilities are closed to amateur athletes. Skiing will be allowed starting with December 24 2020 (as a recreational / sports activity or in the context of a “one-day” activity), but not in the form of a ski vacation. It will not be possible to organize parties on the slopes, both for Austrian citizens and for foreign citizens who will be in Austria at the end of this year. The cable cars will operate in compliance with strict hygiene and restraint measures.
- Leisure places remain closed, except for parks and churches.
- Commercial units reopen.
UPDATE 22.12.2020 - There is no limit on the number of people who can gather in a house during Christmas, but it will be forbidden to drive from 23:00 to 02:00 on December 24 and 25, as well as on December 31 .
On New Year's Eve, street parties are prohibited, and outdoor gatherings are limited to a maximum of six people. Also, between January 1 and 3, people will not be allowed to leave their homes between 13:00 and 5:00 in the morning.
UPDATE 22.12.2020 - The Netherlands is in lockdown from 15 December to 19 January 2021. The restrictions imposed during this period and some exceptions to the general rules of limited duration are as follows:
- in open public spaces it will not be allowed to form a group of more than 2 people except those who share the same home;
- it will not be allowed to receive more than 2 visitors over the age of 13 in the homes;
- non-essential shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, hairdressing salons, cosmetics, tattoos, manicures and sex centers, as well as theaters, concert halls, cinemas, casinos, museums, zoos, amusement parks, will remain closed. gyms, swimming pools, saunas, spas and other indoor sports venues.
The hotels remain open, but not the restaurants inside them. Room service will also not be available.
On December 24, 25 and 26, it will be allowed to receive 3 visitors aged at least 13 years.
No alcohol is sold or delivered between 20:00 and 07:00. It is not allowed to transport or consume alcohol in public places, between 20:00 and 07:00.
Schools, restaurants, hotels and shopping centers remain closed until 17 January. Poland also imposes a 10-day quarantine for those returning to the country by public transport. On New Year's Eve, there will be a traffic ban from 19:00 to 6:00 the next day.