IATA is developing the IATA Travel Pass, a digital health permit that facilitates travel.
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) has announced that it is in the final stages of developing the IATA Travel Pass, a digital health permit that will support the safe reopening of borders.
Governments are beginning to use testing as a means of limiting the risks of spreading COVID-19 when reopening borders for travelers, eliminating the measure of quarantine.
IATA calls for the systematic testing of COVID-19 by all international travelers.
IATA Travel Pass will manage and verify the flow of necessary information that must reach all parties involved:
- governments - to verify the authenticity of the tests and the identity of those presenting the test certificates.
- Airlines - to provide accurate information to their passengers on the test requirements and to verify that a passenger meets the travel requirements.
- laboratory - to issue digital certificates to passengers
- passengers - to provide accurate information on test requirements, where they can be tested or vaccinated, but also to pass on the information obtained to airlines and border authorities.
IATA Travel Pass incorporates four sources and interoperable modules that can be combined for one solution:
- Global Register of Health Requirements - allows passengers to find accurate information about travel, testing and vaccination requirements.
- Global register of test / vaccination centers - allows passengers to identify test centers and laboratories that meet the standards for testing and vaccination requirements of their destination.
- Laboratory application - allows authorized laboratories and test centers to safely share test and vaccination certificates with passengers.
- Contactless travel app - allows passengers to:
- create a "digital passport"
- receive test and vaccination certificates and verify that they are sufficient for their itinerary
- share test or vaccination certificates with airlines and authorities.
- manage digital documentation seamlessly throughout the trip
IATA and International Airlines Group (IAG) have worked together to develop this solution and will begin testing to demonstrate that this platform combined with COVID-19 testing can reopen international travel and replace quarantine.
Airlines are calling for a cost-effective, comprehensive and modular solution to get the aviation industry back on its feet.
The IATA Travel Pass is based on industry standards and IATA's proven experience in managing information flows around complex travel requirements:
- Timatica IATA it is used by most airlines to manage passport and visa regulations and will be the basis of the global register of health requirements.
- One ID initiative IATA was approved, by a resolution at the 75th Annual General Meeting in 2019, to facilitate travel processes with a single identity token. It is the basis of the IATA Contactless Travel application for identity verification, which will also manage vaccination tests and certificates.
The tests of the pilot program will start this year, and the official launch will be in the first quarter of 2021.