Thassos Island - accommodation, tourist attractions, beaches, useful information
Thassos (or Tasos) is the northernmost of the islands of the Greek archipelago and is considered the emerald island of Greece. The coastline is rocky in the east and west and sandy in the north and south. The island is considered to be mountainous, the highest point being Ipsarion (1127m).
One of the most popular holiday destinations for Romanians is the island of Thassos. Every year, thousands of Romanians end up spending their holidays on one of the wonderful beaches on the island. Thassos can be reached by car, plane or bus, the island being at a distance of only 600 km from Romania.
On the island of Thassos you will find a new beach at every step. Many of them have been labeled "blue flags", which means they are some of them the most beautiful beaches in Greece and the world. In Thassos, more than 30 beaches offer tourists unique conditions and landscapes.
The best time to organize a holiday in Thassos
Thassos is an island with a very mild climate, regardless of the season, but the best time to visit the island is spring or autumn, when temperatures are not so high, the sun does not burn so hard and when you can enjoy beach without being bothered by summer drowsiness.
Temperatures reach a maximum of 36 degrees in summer, but the body feels much higher temperatures, which can reach up to 45 degrees, although in the evening you can feel a pleasant breeze perfect for walks on the beach or on the terraces on the beach.
The most important tourist attractions on the island.
Greece is a versatile, cosmopolitan country of contrasts. Recognized as the land of the ancient gods, the Greeks combine the modern with the traditional, history with the future, the mountain with the sea and there is an island, beach or resort for everyone, regardless of their pretensions.
Greece can be an ideal destination for a relaxing stay on the beach, for water and water sports, for fun with friends or, why not, an exploratory city break, where you can visit the most beautiful tourist attractions of the country. However, each island has many unique sights that you must visit. Thassos consists of 26 resorts and villages, each with its own specifics.
- In 1979, the village Theologians was declared the cultural capital of the island of Thassos. Visitors eager to walk can tour the village on foot on the main road. Tourists can visit the Folk Museum - where folk clothes and tools used by the inhabitants are exhibited, as well as the architecture - as well as the Memorial House of the Greek author and diplomat, Vassilis Vassilikos. The village is famous for its stone houses and taverns with typical Greek food.
- The capital of the island - Limenas - It is surrounded by beaches, packed with taverns, bars, terraces and shops and is ideal for tourists who want to discover local history. Those eager to explore can visit the old port, the Archaeological Museum, the Ancient Agora and a wonderful church dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
- Archaeological Museum from Limenas dates from 1934 and houses collections of sculpture, ancient pottery and architectural elements dating from the Neolithic era and Roman times. The main exhibit of the museum is represented by a statue that embodies a kouros that comes from a temple dedicated to Apollo.
- Panagia is a tourist village, but which has managed to keep its authentic Greek charm. The houses are surrounded by various crops and are flooded with flowers. The taverns are pleasant, and the owners pass on the tradition from generation to generation and convey to tourists good mood and zest for life. The village is located 10 kilometers from Limenas, 4 kilometers from Golden Beach and another 3 km from Potamia. The village was the first capital of the island of Thassos after the Revolution of 1821, founded 300 years ago, being one of the main attractions of the island.
- Golden Beach is the most popular on the island, being just a strip of sand that attracts most tourists in the region. It has clear water, fine sand and gold. It is designed for sun loungers and camping, dotted with taverns, but is also ideal for beach sports and water activities.
- Giola, the natural swimming pool in Thassos, stands out due to the height of the stone walls, which reach almost 8 meters. Giola is separated from the sea by a narrow rock that allows sea water to enter here. The pool is deep and the water is clear and warmer than sea water. At the bottom of the pool you can admire the rocks that house sea urchins. Thanks to the high walls, Giola is perfect for those who are passionate about diving.
- Makryammos beach it has always been prized for its tranquility, silver sand and shallow emerald water. The beach has been awarded the Blue Flag and is the perfect place for the little ones. The sandy bottom of the sea, shallow, is ideal for the little ones to play. Adults can take a dip in the crystal clear waters and relax in the sun on a sun lounger, along with a cocktail and a good book.
- It is located 15 km from Limenas Potamia scale, a resort highly sought after by tourists in insula Thassos. The resort has developed from a fishing village into an attractive holiday village place.
- At an altitude of 140 meters above sea level, the road to The Acropolis of the island of Thassos starts from the old theater. Tourists must follow a path guarded by a stone wall, built by the Romans. On the Acropolis were the sanctuary of the god Apollo and the place where the city's treasure was kept. Now it is the place where you can admire a unique panoramic view.
- One of the treasures of the island of Thassos is Monastery Saint Archangel Michael. The monastery is located at the top of the island, 30 kilometers from Limenas. The architectural beauty and the charming view over the sea, make the monastery unique. This is also due to the patron saint he bears: that of Archangel Michael, because this patron saint always presupposes the protection of Archangel Gabriel. The monastery actually enjoyed the interventions of Archangel Michael, who appeared to the monks several times, or so it is said.
Accommodation on the island of Thassos
Thassos Island offers many accommodation options, from 5-star hotels and spas or resorts suitable for family and relaxation, to adult only hotels and to guesthouses or villas for rent through various applications such as AirBNB. We can say that Thassos is a destination for all tastes and all pockets, you just have to set your expectations, desires and budgets correctly.
For those traveling with the family on holiday, the villas and guesthouses with in-room kitchenette are the most suitable. If you still want the little ones to have activities at the hotel so that you can relax by the pool with a cocktail, you can bet on a resort hotel, which also provides activities for the little ones. If you want a place to pamper and relax, you can choose a hotel with a spa and wellness center. For those who go on vacation with a group of friends, they can choose villa complexes with swimming pool and barbecue, as well as other leisure facilities. Below you have 3 of the best hotels on the island, conform Booking :
Makryammos Bungalows (see offer)
Makryammos Bungalows offers beachfront rooms with direct sea views spread across a pine forest. The complex of 4 stars It has a large swimming pool and a small zoo. The air-conditioned rooms have marble floors and are decorated with light wooden furniture. They have satellite TV, tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge and a bathroom with a hairdryer and toiletries. Sports facilities include tennis and basketball facilities, as well as beach soccer or volleyball.
A playground is located next to the shallow water beach. A lifeguard is always present on the beach and there is a freshwater children’s pool and a kids ’club. Sunbeds and umbrellas, included in the rate, are reserved for you throughout your stay. Breakfast and dinner are included and are offered at the main restaurant.
The beach tavern serves à la carte Mediterranean dishes, including seafood and fresh fish. Refreshments and cocktails are available by the pool and on the beach. Makryammos Bungalows is just 1.6 km from the capital and the port of Thassos. The hotel offers free private parking.
Hotel rating: 8.8 - fabulos
Blue Dream Palace Trypiti Beach Resort & Spa (see offer)
Surrounded by green hills and well-kept gardens, Blue Dream Palace Trypiti Beach Resort & Spa is a 5 stars built on the seafront at Tripiti. Facilities include 2 outdoor pools and a heated indoor pool with a hot tub attached. A spa is available.
Rooms at Blue Dream Palace Trypiti Beach Resort & Spa have modern furniture. They are equipped with a flat-screen TV with satellite channels and a minibar. The private bathrooms have a bathtub and hairdryer. Most rooms have sea views. Guests can relax at the hotel’s pools and free sun loungers and parasols. Palace offers a gym, sauna and hammam. Other leisure activities at Blue Dream include a playroom and a children’s playground.
Greek nights are organized by the hotel. Several massage treatments are available at the spa. Blue Dream has a main restaurant serving buffet meals, as well as a beach tavern. The hotel has 2 bars, one of which is located by the pool. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the hotel.
Hotel rating: 8.9 - fabulos
Alexandra Beach Spa Resort (see offer)
Alexandra Beach Spa Resort is within walking distance of the picturesque villages of Potos and Pefkari on the island of Thasos. It is surrounded by a lush garden with roses and palm trees. Cataloged by 4 stars, the hotel offers comfortable and welcoming rooms, fully equipped with minibar, safe, satellite TV and radio, air conditioning and hairdryer.
Free Wi-Fi is available in all units. Guests can enjoy sports facilities, including a gym, billiards, tennis courts, mini golf and beach volleyball. Guests can relax in the hotel’s spa, which offers a wide range of facial and body treatments and massages. Children are offered a playground and a mini club.
A Greek buffet breakfast is served at the main restaurant by the pool, overlooking the sea. Fresh fish and Greek specialties are served at lunch at the hotel’s beachfront tavern. Exotic drinks and cocktails are served at the 3 bars, where a variety of events are held regularly.
Hotel rating: 8.7 - fabulos
Greece is a destination worth discovering and exploring. We recommend you try the taverns of Thassos Island, enjoy traditional Greek cuisine, a relaxing atmosphere and themed evenings.
There are definitely other unique beautiful places on the island of Thassos. If you have discovered such a wonderful place and you think it is worth mentioning in this article, we are waiting for your pictures on our Instagram or Facebook or you can mention us in your posts.
That being said, we wish you a summer full of travel, fun and many relaxing days :)!