The people of Oradea will have their own airline
Oradea City Hall and the County Council will set up, for the first time in our country, their own airline, owned by Bihor County and Oradea Municipality.
The announcement was made today by the mayor Florin Birta and the president of the CJ Ilie Bolojan in a joint press statement, and a collaboration protocol will be signed and will have to be approved by the local and county councilors.
The two administrations aimed to ensure the air connectivity of the county by setting up new domestic flights, between Oradea and Bucharest, and external, between Oradea and one or more important air hubs in the European Union.
"There are important areas in which the collaboration between Oradea City Hall and the County Council has its say, because it leads to the development of the city and the county at an accelerated pace. In this case, having an airport that connects us with the country's capital much better and with European hubs is exactly what it means, a better development and conditions for investors, for tourists and for the local community.", Specified the mayor of Oradea Florin Birta.
It is thus desired to operate with two new aircraft:
- Oradea - Bucharest (Otopeni or Baneasa Airport) - minimum 3 flights per day on weekdays and minimum 2 flights per day on non-working days. Start of operation - from March 2022;
- Oradea - one or two international airports in Western Europe (important air hub to ensure connection to the most important destinations in Europe and the world) - at least 1 flight a day on weekdays. Start of operation - no later than October 2022;
The activity of the local airline would be financed from public subscriptions, sponsorships and donations from local airlines that will want to support this project.
In the following period, the optimal operating solutions of the two aircraft will be identified:
- how to take over the aircraft: purchase / leasing / renting;
- the type of aircraft and their capacity;
- effective mode of operation: direct operation / contracting specific services from third parties - crew, etc.