SriLankan Airlines joins the oneworld alliance, from 1 to May 2014 (photo / video)
After a postponement, here is the big day for SriLankan Airlines. From today, 1 May 2014, has become part of the oneworld alliance, providing passengers with services and benefits aligned to the standards of the alliance.
The 300 000 FlySmiLes loyalty system members (SriLankan Airlines) will benefit from the oneworld loyalty system, regardless of the airline, part of the alliance, with which they will fly. Also, the 180 million members of the oneworld loyalty program will benefit from the same loyalty facilities if they fly with SriLankan Airlines.
From today, the official carrier of Sri Lanka will fly in close connection with airline operators such as:
- Asia-Pacific: Cathay Pacific Airways, Japan Airlines, Malaysia Airlines and Qantas.
- Europe: airberlin, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and S7 Airlines.
- Middle East: Qatar Airways - the only 3 major Gulf airline to join an alliance - and Royal Jordanian.
- North America: American Airlines and US Airways after the merger.
- South America: LAN Airlines and the TAM Airlines partner of the LATAM Airlines Group.
The first flight operated by SriLankan Airlines under the oneworld alliance was UL318, on the Colombo - Kuala Lumpur route, which took off at 7:45 local time. SriLankan Airlines brings two new destinations to the oneworld and we mention here Hambantota and Tiruchirapalli.
A few figures about oneworld with the addition of SriLankan Airlines:
- Covers approximately 1000 airports in 150 countries;
- oneworld airlines operate 14250 daily flights;
- oneworld carries around 500 million passengers a year, with a fleet of 3300 aircraft;
- Generates a turnover of over 140 billion dollars annually;
- Offers access to over 600 lounges, including the world's highest rated airports.
At the oneworld membership ceremony, SriLankan Airlines unveiled an Airbus A330 in alliance colors. At the same time, the oneworld logo will be applied to all aircraft in the fleet.
With the accession of SriLankan Airlines, the oneworld alliance concludes the largest expansion program registered in 15 years of activity. For two years, oneworld has attracted 15 new members with full rights and affiliates:
- TAM Airlines, the main airline in Latin America and leader in Brazil, joined 31 March 2014 together with its partner LAN Airlines, part of the LATAM Airlines group.
- US Airways entered the oneworld at 31 March 2014, a process that occurred following the merger with American Airlines.
- Qatar Airways entered the oneworld at 30 October 2013, being the first of the three major Gulf carriers to join an airline alliance.
- Malaysia Airlines, one of the top airline operators in Southeast Asia, joined 1 February 2013.
- airberlin, the second largest airline in Germany and one of the largest carriers in Europe, joined 2012 in March.