Sweden, Spain and Bulgaria are under codes red, orange and yellow snow, wind and polar cold
We are in the cold season. In theory, between December and February, Europe is in the winter season. And in winter it is cold, it snows and in some areas large amounts of snow can be deposited, in some periods it can even be frost with temperatures dropping below -20 degrees.
The winter has settled over European countries
On January 11 and 12, Sweden, Spain and Bulgaria issued warnings of bad weather, activating the codes red, orange and yellow of snow, wind and polar cold. Obviously, each region has a code.
Spain under codes red, orange and yellow polar cold
For those who are in Spain or want to transit the Iberian Peninsula, we inform you that temperatures of -15 degrees have been announced in some regions.
Thus, the Spanish Meteorological Agency (AEMET) has issued a forecast of extreme negative temperatures for this country:
- Code red in the communities of Castilla y Leon and Castilla la Mancha;
- Code orange in the communities of Madrid, Aragon and part of Castilla la Mancha;
- Yellow code in the Balearic Islands and Catalonia.
The cold wave will extend until January 13, 2021 in almost the entire Peninsula, respectively the communities of Andalusia, Cantabria, Catalonia, Extremadura, Galicia, Murcia, La Rioja and the Valencian Community.
Regarding the flights operated from Adolfo Suarez Airport in Madrid, the airport activity was partially resumed, currently using terminals: T1, T4 and T4s. Passengers are advised to contact the airlines to check the status of the flight.
Sweden - Red, orange and yellow codes of snow and wind
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs informs Romanian citizens who are, transit or intend to travel to the Kingdom of Sweden that, according to data published by the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, for the period 12-13 January 2021, red and orange snow codes have been issued and wind, as follows:
- Red code for the Västernorrland region;
- Orange code for the northern part of the Jämtland region and the coastal part of the Västerbotten region.
Also, for a large part of the regions of the Kingdom, yellow codes of snow and frost were issued.
Bulgaria - Maintenance of orange and yellow codes for rain and snow
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs informs Romanian citizens who are, transit or intend to travel to the Republic of Bulgaria that, according to data transmitted by the Bulgarian Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology, for the period 12-13 January 2021, orange and yellow precipitation codes were issued under form of rain and snow for several regions, as follows:
- Orange code of abundant rainfall in the form of rain for the Smolian, Haskovo, Kârdjali, Sliven, Yambol and Burgas regions, with precipitation up to 35-65 mm;
- Yellow rain code for the regions of Pazardzhik, Plovdiv, Stara Zagora, Veliko Tarnovo, Targoviste, Shumen and Varna, with precipitation up to 20-35 mm;
- Yellow code of precipitation in the form of snow and icing in the following regions: Pernik, Sofia-region, Sofia, Loveci, Gabrovo, Pleven, Vratsa, Montana and Vidin.
In this context, the Bulgarian authorities recommend increased attention to traffic, speed adaptation, equipment for motor vehicles in winter conditions, compliance with the temporary road signs installed and the indications / signals of the on-site inspection bodies. During the establishment of meteorological warning codes, it is possible that some categories of roads may be closed to road traffic due to the formation of snow trojans or low visibility in blizzard conditions.
That being said, we hope the weather didn't take you by surprise. Travel carefully, be informed, do not venture on the road if the weather does not allow it. There may be delays or cancellations of flights, traffic jams may occur on public roads. Drive carefully!