UPDATED: Travel conditions in Cyprus, starting July 23. MAE clarifications!
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs states that the Cypriot authorities have revised the conditions for entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus, with the new measures entering into force on 23 July 2020.
According to the information provided by the Cypriot authorities, the conditions applicable to citizens entering the territory of the Republic of Cyprus are established according to the countries of origin, which are classified into three categories, namely:
Cyprus classified the countries into 3 categories
1. category A - states considered low risk, for which a negative test for COVID-19 infection is not required;
2. B category - states considered to be of medium risk, for which it is mandatory to present a negative molecular test for COVID-19 infection;
3. category C - States from which one can travel to the Republic of Cyprus only if certain conditions are met, namely a travel authorization, a negative molecular test for COVID-19 infection and, in certain cases, a special permit issued by the Cypriot Ministry of the Interior .
The MFA states that Romania has been included in the list of category C countries, along with Luxembourg, Montenegro, Portugal, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Serbia and Sweden.
Access to the territory of the Republic of Cyprus is permitted for citizens coming from the countries included in category C.
Under the new measures, access to the territory of the Republic of Cyprus is allowed to citizens coming from countries included in category C, as follows:
- Cypriot citizens and foreign nationals legally residing in Cyprus may enter on condition that they obtain a travel authorization and submit a negative molecular test for COVID-19 infection;
- other categories of persons, coming from category C countries, may enter only on condition that they obtain a special permit issued by the Cypriot Ministry of Interior. Applications will be sent by e-mail to the e-mail: [email protected]
Documents required to enter Cyprus
Thus, citizens wishing to travel to the Republic of Cyprus in Romania, who are not part of the category of Cypriot citizens or foreign nationals residing in Cyprus, must present at the entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus the following:
- travel authorization, obtained through the portal www.cyprusflightpass.gov.cy. The trip must be checked in 24 hours before the trip. Authorization requires electronic completion of a COVID-19 questionnaire and entry of flight data;
- a PCR molecular test with a negative result for COVID-19 infection, performed with a maximum of 72 hours prior to the moment of entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus, attested by a certificate in English;
- special permit issued by the Ministry of Interior for non-residents.
At the same time, the MFA mentions that, as of July 17, 2020, the Cypriot authorities no longer allow tourists to cross in the northern part of the island. Romanian citizens who are in the northern part of the island will not receive the permit to cross only in humanitarian cases (death of a family member, emergency medical situations), the trip will take place exclusively through the Meteham crossing point.
The MFA also states that the list of states from which entry into the Republic of Cyprus is allowed is updated weekly by the Cypriot Ministry of Health, based on epidemiological data from each country.