COVID-19 Daily - July 25, 2021: The pandemic cost the UK $ 508 billion; protests in Paris; Germany is preparing for wave 4!
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to make its presence felt among us. Every day, it makes new victims and puts thousands of people in hospitals globally. The problem is that the number of people getting infected with the new coronavirus is growing. Let's see the news of COVID-19 from July 25!
- The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) in the UK said the authorities had spent on the emergency system during the pandemic at least $ 508 billion. He said ministers are expected to draw up a plan to fully recover these costs this autumn.
- In a related publication, the CAP mentioned that personal protective equipment (PPE) from UK, worth $ 2,74 billion, it was not "fit for purpose" and estimated that $ 35,7 billion had been lost through fraud and unpaid loans.
- Several arrests were made during anti-lockdown protests in Paris. French authorities say at least 160.000 people have taken to the streets across the country to express its opposition to the anti-COVID-19 measures.
- A German official has warned that those who have chosen not to be vaccinated will not be allowed access to restaurants, crowded places or stadiums. Angela Merkel's chief of staff, Helge Braun, said the current trajectory leads to 100.000 new cases a day.
- Jon Rahm, a famous golfer from Spain, withdrew from the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for the second time in two months.