Italy has been eliminated from the race for the 2022 World Cup
A big surprise on Thursday night in Palermo, where the Italian national football champion, the defending European champion, was eliminated from the race for the qualification to 2022 World Cup of Northern Macedonia.
Squadra Azzurra unleashed a swerving effort from the right that the visitors' keeper did well to tip wide. meters.
For the second time in a row, Italy misses a world tournament, after not playing in Russia in 2018, being eliminated by Sweden, which had not happened in the last 60 years, reports Agerpres.
Northern Macedonia, qualified for the play-offs to the detriment of Romania, after managing a better score in the group, will play the final of the dam for CM 2022 with Portugal, which ordered Turkey cu 3-1. In Skopje, people took to the streets and celebrated their team's unexpected victory.
Play-off semifinal results
- Italy 0-1 Northern Macedonia; scored by Aleksandar Trajkovski 90 + 2.
- Portugal 3-1 Turkey; scored: Otavio 15, Diogo Jota 42, Matheus Luiz Nunes 90 + 4, respectively Burak Yilmaz 65. Burak Yilmaz missed a penalty in the min. 85 (shot over).
- Sweden 1-0 Czech Republic, after extra time; scored by Robin Quaison 110.
- Wales 2-1 Austria; scored: Gareth Bale 25, 51, and Marcel Sabitzer 64 respectively.
- The Scotland-Ukraine match has been postponed.
- The Russia-Poland match is not played, Russia being suspended by UEFA
In this context, Italy will watch the World Cup in Qatar from the couch, after a 0-1 shock with Northern Macedonia. Thus, the players miss the opportunity to go to Qatar :).