Delayed plane? Flight canceled? >>Claim compensation now<< for the flight
delayed or canceled! You can get up to € 600!
Top 10 the fastest commercial flights in aviation history
On average, a passenger plane has an average cruise speed of up to 900 km / h. But with the help of strong currents, also called Jet Stream, speed can be greatly increased.
On 7 January 2015, a Boeing 777-200 British Airways took a jet stream at speeds of about 350 km / h, helping the aircraft reach flight speed of 1199 km/h, just below the speed of sound on the ground. Thus the BA114 flight on the route New York-JFK - London-Heathrow, was operated on 5 hours and 16 minutes, with an hour and 34 minutes faster than the estimated time.
The fastest commercial flights
But the event is not unique. Also on 7 January 2015, a Boeing 777 Air France reached speeds up to 1260 km/h on different flight segments, and the route New York-JFK - Paris CDG was operated on in 5 hours and 27 minutes, 30 minutes below the estimated time. Lately, more and more flights, operated from west to east, have higher speeds than the normal average due to these currents.
And if I kept in mind the two fast flights, I also prepared a ranking of the fastest 10 flights in aviation history. The ranking was made by colleagues from bfmtv.com based on photographs (evidence of aircraft speeds) received from pilots. We will start in the reverse order to increase the suspense.
10. On the 10 place we have a flight from 2005. On April 2, a Boeing 767 Vietnam Airlines flew with speed 1300 km/h on the route Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam - Osaka, Japan.
9. The place 9 belongs to a flight from 2006. In November, a McDonnell Douglas MD-11 aircraft lufthansa Cargo flew with 1324 km/h Driving directions Wilmington, United States - East Midlands, England.
8. There is a flight from 8 to 1997. Captain Yves Petit Jean was able to reach speed NO km / h with a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 AOM French Airlines, an airline operator that disappeared from the market in 2003.
7. Here we come to 7. It belongs to a flight from 11 to January 2015. This is a Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft United which reached the speed of 1333 km/h. The pilot did not specify flight details.
6. An Airbus A380 Lufthansa enters the 6 position with the speed of 1333 km/h, speed recorded on a flight to Tokyo.
5. On 4 February 2007, an Airbus A330 KLM reached the speed of 1335 km/h, on the route Atlanta - Amsterdam. This brought him a well-deserved 5th place in our top.
4. And we are approaching the podium fast. We reached the 4 position, which is occupied by a Boeing 777. The aircraft reached the speed of 1358 km/h, on 16 January 2011. The aircraft took off from Japan and reached speed very close to the North Pacific.
3. We are opening the top 3 with a high speed flight registered on the 28 March 2009. An Airbus A340 aircraft Singapore Airlines reached the speed of 1360 km/h on the route Singapore - Los Angeles.
2. The 2 is occupied by a Boeing 747 British Airways. The aircraft reached the speed of 1393 km/h, on 15 February 2010.
1. Here we come to the first position of this top. The 1 place is claimed, without challenge, by Concord. The only supersonic passenger plane reached the speed of 2232 km / h on 15 June 2003. Commander Jonathan Napier sent the evidence with speed without mentioning the details of the flight. We only know it was Concorde under livery British Airways.
There are certainly other high-speed flights recorded in aviation history, but they were not included in this ranking. If you are aware of such flights, please leave comments and we will check the information.